With this phrase the Communist Youth of Greece (KNE) and the Communist Youth of Turkey (TKG) express their internationalist solidarity during these difficult times for the two countries, following the strong earthquake that struck off Greece and Turkey coast on Friday.
In a joint statement published in 902 portal, KNE and TKG point out:
This disastrous earthquake, which has already cost human lives in both countries, highlights once again the lack of earthquake protection measures and the long-term responsibilities of the governments of both Greece and Turkey which leave the people unprotected for the sake of the profits of busines groups.
We demand that all urgent means be taken, such as:
- Immediate care and treatment of the injured.
- Immediate preventive measures for aftershocks.
- Immediate and complete restoration of damaged infrastructure, public buildings (e.g. schools, universities, etc.), road networks, public housing.
- Compensation and comprehensive support for the victims.
- Essential control of the suitability of all buildings, especially of public services and workplaces, for the protection of the lives of the workers and the population as a whole.
- Restoration and preservation of historical monuments.
It is not inevitable for our lives to be crushed! Life shall win, with the struggles, the power, our dreams!".
Strong earthquake hits Aegean Sea
In Turkey, at least 20 people were killed and 786 injured, while the earthquake caused extensive damages in the city of Izmir and other Turkish coastal towns.
In Samos, two high school students, a girl and a boy, were killed when a wall fell on them.
Seismologists warned that people should expect a series of strong aftershocks to follow the 6.7 Richter earthquake that hit the island of Samos and the Turkish coast on Friday. They urged the public to stay away from 'distressed' buildings.