"We, the undersigned communist and workers' parties, are following with concern the latest developments in the Iran since mid-September 2022.
In line with the Action Plan unanimously agreed at the 22nd IMCWP in Havana, Cuba, in October 2022, we express "our solidarity with the just causes of the people of Iran including with the Iranian communists who face persecution and prohibitions on free exercise of their political rights; to stand against dictatorial regimes, repression, and discrimination in terms of democratic rights and freedoms" in that country.
The current mass protests in Iran, which began after the death of Mahsa Amini in the custody of the "Morality Police" on 16S eptember - with the country's women and youth at the forefront - have condemned the repressive state policies of the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) and called for fundamental systemic political changes. Mass demonstrations across Iran have been brutally suppressed by the police and plainclothes security forces of the IRI.
Confirmed reports put the number of the protestors killed by the state's repressive measures at more than 500,including 57 children,while hundreds more are injured and around 18,000 have been arrested.
The IRI's judiciary has confirmed that the trial of about 1000 protesters has already started. Several defendants have already been charged with "enmity with god", "fighting against Islam"and "endangering the national security of the Islamic state"and sentenced to death. These trial processes fall massively short of even the most basic standards of legal due process and a fair and lawful trial.
We strongly denounce the use of the
death penalty - particularly as punishment solely for engaging in
peaceful protests and political activities and for exercising the right
to free speech or freedom to join a political or social organisation of
We support the legitimate struggle of the Iranian people for peace, human and democratic rights, sovereignty, and social justice. Their struggle to determine the future of their country- free from any intimidation, oppression, or violence - is their legitimate right. We call for the immediate and unconditional release of all detainees and an immediate halt to the torture and execution of protesters.
We also strongly reject any interference by imperialism and reactionary regimes in the Middle East in Iran's internal affairs. The future direction of political developments in Iran is a decision solely for the people of Iran themselves.
The Joint Statement is open for further subscriptions
- Communist Party of Albania
- Communist Party of Australia
- Democratic Progressive Tribune, Bahrain
- Communist Party of Bangladesh
- Communist Party of Belgium
- Workers Party of Belgium
- Communist Party of Britain
- Communist Party of Canada
- AKEL, Cyprus
- Communist Party of Bohemia & Moravia
- Communist Party of Denmark
- Communist Party of Finland
- German Communist Party
- Communist Party of Greece
- Communist Party of India [Marxist]
- Tudeh Party of Iran
- Iraqi Communist Party
- Communist Party of Kurdistan-Iraq
- Communist Party of Ireland
- Workers Party of Ireland
- Workers Party of Ireland
- Communist Party of Israel
- Party of the Communist Refoundation ( Italy)
- Communist Party of Malta
- Communist Party of Mexico
- New Communist Party of the Netherlands
- Communist party of Pakistan
- Palestinian Communist Party
- Palestinian People Party
- Philippines Communist Party [PKP 1930]
- New Communist Party of Yugoslavia
- Party Communists of Serbia
- South African Communist Party
- Communist Party of Spain
- Communists of Catalonia
- Sudanese Communist Party
- Communist Party of Swaziland
- Communist Party of Sweden
- Syrian Communist Party [Unified]
- Communist Party USA
- Communist Party of Venezuela